Location: San Francisco, on-site
I know what you're thinking,
"Another game developer? Yay… more F2P clones that monetize the worst aspects of human nature. We need another one of those like San Francisco needs another car hailing app"
Actually, we invest into technology that will create the next generation of storytellers. We're not pigeon-holed by genre, our internal games range from Sherlock Holmes recreated as a middle school nerd to tall tales of an "Indiana Jones of the Sea”, what they have in common is none of them end in -Ville, -Clans, -Crush, -War, or -Casino.
The question you have to ask yourself is: do you want to work on supporting folks that enable stories worth telling? Or do you want to slave away on yet another farming simulator, online slot machine, or PvP clone?
Like to break things? FableLabs is looking for a creative intern to push the boundaries of what we've created. You'll be the customer advocate, making sure the user experience will be great. You'll be running through existing test cases as well as writing tests to cover new features. When you see odd behavior, we expect you to solve the mystery of why it happens, document it in a way a developer would understand, and prioritize it for the team. In addition to this, you'll be supporting the team however you can; whether that be research, copy editing, managing the office, etc.
Not going to lie, this job takes mental fortitude, it will have some mind-numbing times, where you're scrubbing docs for mistakes or making sure the same information ties in multiple locations; whatever it takes to support the team and make sure they do their best work. You will report directly to the CEO and he promises you will learn more here in 1-2 years than any other game company; hands down. If you want more responsibility, there's always more to give. This position is contract to hire; you will probably make more elsewhere in the short-term. But if you're exceptional and you level-up, we will be able to offer a permanent spot on the team.
- 50% of your job will be quality assurance: breaking the game and seeing how to replicate it
- Organize user tests to get outside opinions
- Competitive analysis of other games
- Collating information and presenting to the team
- Editing dialog in our game
- Organizing feature tickets so they’re human readable
- Cleaning up of asset lists, asset formats, and reimportation if necessary
- Setting up meetings, presentations
- Managing community forums
- Recruiting, testing, interviews
- Infecting everyone with your excitement and passion; no one said game development would be easy
- If you like to wear many hats, you'll be at home here
- Attention to detail
- Great communication skills, whether that be verbal, written, or visual
- Always hustling, finding solutions, never letting problems get in the way
- Must live within an hour of the office (SOMA location in San Francisco)
- Able to work most days, although we’re flexible; life does happen
- Bonus for experience and interest with interactive fiction, hidden object, adventure, and role playing genres
- Position is located in SOMA district of SF (close to Bart, Muni and Caltrain)
- Please send your resume or a url to your LinkedIn to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In your application include the following:
- List mistakes and wording suggestions for our website
- Break down a game on a top 50 app store chart (iOS or Android) and tell us how they could improve their initial user experience
- What you'd like to do here if you knock it out of the park