Senior Tools Developer
FableLabs builds NOTHING but awesome story-driven games for the tablet and web. Our team of creatives and technologists from BioWare, Maxis, LucasArts, Popcap, and Dreamworks have built and scaled products with millions of users and we've recently closed on fundraising to scale our team. We take the best storytelling elements of adventure / role playing games but make the gameplay accessible, free-to-play and fun for those who don’t have 8 hour blocks of time to hack and slash through dungeons.
We think the AAA studio model is fundamentally broken and have seen too many talented artists and writers buried on massive projects or looking for work at no fault of their own. We're working on content authoring tools that can empower tiny teams of storytellers. Creatives should be able to concept, implement, and test storylines far more rapidly than they can today. By placing these tools in the hands of our talented creatives, we’re able to create a huge ecosystem of stories worth telling. We're looking for folks that thrive when given significant responsibility, an atmosphere that stresses continuous learning and a touch of chaos as we explore uncharted territory.
Do you enjoy building tools and pipelines that empower your colleagues? Do you find yourself dual classing your characters in RPGs because it matches your own broad interests and capabilities? You'll put that experience to good use at FableLabs. If you have an eye for design and user experience we will likely get the warm fuzzies, as we often skip extensive specs and go from whiteboard to prototypes. You believe that tools should be built the way other companies build consumer applications; prototyping ideas, gathering data, and iteration. Constantly. Content authors will hate being your guinea pig but occasionally you have feature breakthroughs and all is forgiven.
- Building tools that provide insights to creators, allowing faster but higher quality content creation
- Systems that streamline communication and content authoring (ALL kinds of content, not just art)
- Extremely comfortable working on the database/communication layers so you can be an army of 1. A stable foundation is key as the functionality on top will be rapidly iterated upon
- Mastery of UI. You must understand how there are at least 5 different ways of laying out a toolchain and why the layout you've chosen is the most functional
- You are passionate about systems that help your colleagues, not just "cool game features"
- You have shipped multiple games as well as the toolchains that powered those games
- 5+ years software development experience with at least 1 working with content creation toolchains (i.e. Unity3D, Unreal Engine, Maya, etc)
- Proficiency with interpreted languages (C#, Java) and/or scripting languages (Python, Lua)
- B.S. in Computer Science, or equivalent experience