Unity Gameplay Developer
Location: San Francisco
I know what you're thinking,
"Another game developer? Yay… more F2P clones that monetize the worst aspects of human nature. We need another one of those like San Francisco needs another car hailing app"
Actually, we invest into storytellers who create amazing games. We are 10 folks total and we’re crafting 5 franchises already. While each feels pretty different, ranging from Sherlock Holmes recreated as a middle school nerd to tall tales of an "Indiana Jones of the Sea”, what they have in common is none of them end in -Ville, -Clans, -Crush, -War, or -Casino.
The question you have to ask yourself is: do you want to work on sweet, sweet tech that enables stories worth telling? Or do you want to slave away on yet another farming simulator, online slot machine, or PvP clone?
You’re like Blade the Daywalker, the best of both worlds: You’re able to inspire creatives to use your gameplay systems in more interesting ways,
But at the same time you have a realistic assessment of how dreams fold into actionable deliverables and reusable systems. Some scribbled notes on a whiteboard is all you need to get started on a prototype. By the Beard of Zeus, you will figure out how to make this fun. And not only will you make this fun but you'll provide 42 levers that creatives can play with.
You might be a FableLabs Gameplay Developer if...
- You have a stack of games that are half finished because you abandoned them to prototype something
- You’re comfortable sending out these prototypes you made over a weekend with artwork only a mother could love #NoShame
- You’re irrationally angry at the lack of imagination in app store clones
On a typical week you’ll be
- Rapidly prototyping game designs to find the fun
- Rebuilding gameplay features as robust, reusable systems
- Extending gameplay systems to content creators
- Game Systems: 3+ years software development experience with at least 1 working with gameplay development engines (i.e. Unity3D, Unreal Engine, Custom, etc)
- Language: Proficiency with interpreted languages (C#, Java) and/or scripting languages (Python, Lua)
- Education: B.S. in Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- Mindset: Not afraid to try new ideas, take ownership of your work, and be diligent in your quest for code elegance