Location: San Francisco
Life is better with great stories. But storytelling has been a hits-driven, risky business as writers work with no data, few tools, old media distribution models, and formats that haven't changed in decades.
FableLabs has built Tales (http://www.talesfiction.com), a platform that allows writers to rapidly pilot episodic stories and iterate off feedback/metrics to improve performance. They can easily add visuals, choices, and persistence. Couple all this with freemium monetization and we've got stories that can be produced for less than the cost of an eBook but with the distribution potential of free-to-play mobile games.
Join us and together we'll build the platform for the modern book.
If you love storytelling and want to see writers/artists be able to make a sustainable living doing what they love, this is your chance to make an impact.
If you love to learn, you will learn more in 3-4 months here than 2 years at a traditional game studio or book publishing house.
If you thrive when given objectives, guidelines, and autonomy, you'll accomplish great things here.
If you want responsibility, that means the buck stops with you. Bring your passion and hustle, you are the first and last line of defense; no one said startups were easy!
You'll do a combination of the following tasks:
- Acquisition: Identify and reach out to great fiction writers for the Tales platform.
- Production Support: Organization of asset lists, asset formats, and helping integrate content if the machines fail.
- Editorial: Improve the narrative on our platform, whether that be notes on the characters/world/plot, dialogue improvements, or copywriting intro/marketing text.
- Quality Assurance: Be the customer advocate, making sure we deliver a delightful user experience. Find ways to break our app with replication steps when you succeed.
- Research: Competitive analysis of other fiction platforms and summarizing into lessons. Organizing user tests and surveys to get outside opinions.
- Design: Take pain points and turn them into well formed features via specs, wireframes, metrics, and user quotes. Learn how to prioritize and organize features.
- Attention to detail.
- Great communication skills, whether that be verbal, written, or visual.
- Always hustling, finding solutions, never letting problems get in the way.
- Able to work most days, although we’re flexible; life does happen.
- Bonus for experience and interest with episodic and interactive fiction.
- Please send your resume or a url to your LinkedIn to: email@example.com
- In your application include the following:
- How might we present our website differently? Is the core message coming across? How would you improve it? Cover high level ideas but don't be afraid of diving into details.
- Tell us about your favorite fiction titles and what they have in common.
- What you'd like to do here if you knock it out of the park.