Note: This is an in-house position located in the Financial District of San Francisco. If you're looking to publish your stories on our platform, please apply here. If you'd rather help improve everyone else's stories keep reading.
We all know the stereotype of the creative writer. Barista / Uber driver by day but working on scripts by night. Working for years in isolation with no feedback, networking to find agents/influencers, and praying that a publisher will find an audience.
FableLabs has built Tales (http://www.talesfiction.com), a platform that allows writers (TellTale, BioWare, Ubisoft, EA, Blizzard, PocketGems, Nexon, Choice of Games, Episode, etc) to rapidly pilot episodic stories and iterate off feedback/metrics to improve performance. They can easily add visuals, choices, and persistence. Couple all this with freemium monetization and we've got stories that can be produced for less than the cost of an eBook but with the distribution potential of free-to-play mobile games.
Success shouldn’t be dictated by who you know: good stories should rise to the top through talented storytellers... coupled with user data, iteration, modern formats, and effective monetization. Join us and together we'll build the platform for episodic and interactive fiction!
We're looking for someone comfortable in a dual-class role: creative enough to advise and green-light narrative pitches but technical enough to balance and debug interactive scripts. You'll need to be detail oriented enough to solve immediate design/pipeline issues but forward looking enough to design the right processes/tools to prevent these issues from happening again. We believe the best product managers are able to come up with alternative scenarios and be able to discuss the tradeoffs of each approach. Along the path you'll be critical in building relationships with established writers as well as helping emerging ones find their audience.
- Publishing: Greenlight and provide high level feedback on story submissions.
- Agency: Cultivate new and established authors with commercial appeal to create on our platform.
- Design: Be a champion for solving writer pain points so we can continue to improve our platform and processes. You'll often need to communicate through flowcharts, wireframes, and spreadsheets.
- Scripting: Improve narratives by adding game-like interaction, visuals, or premium content.
- Balancing: Use analytics to ensure our stories provide a great user experience whilst providing a fair revenue share to the creators.
"Ahem, you guys are asking for 5 jobs in 1!"
Yep. You'll be splitting responsibilities with one of the founders in our first ever product hire. We don't expect folks applying to have all of these skills, but we do want you to have the desire to learn it all. Please fill out a quick survey (below) so we can have a more in depth discussion later.