Prose is the bread and butter for most writers. However, a few things you should keep in mind while writing serialized fiction for our platform:
- Free-to-play: While you will have final say over how you monetize your stories, we've found that the best way of getting your content in front of the largest possible audience with the best economics is to allow the beginning chapter to be free and monetize latter chapters once they're engaged.
- Hook: Since stories are free to start, your stories will need to hook readers immediately. We find the first 2 pages to be most critical to get right.
- Cliffhangers: Each chapter should try to end on a gripping note, much like on episodic television. You'll want to pull the readers to start the next chapter.
You've got a ton of platform options for publishing traditional fiction but there's several advantages of writing for the Tales platform:
- Improved monetization: You'll actually be able to make a living on the Tales platform, unlike some other places where the most you can hope for is to gain enough followers to migrate to a real book deal.
- Pilot new ideas: Release as many or as few chapters as you want. When new chapters are released, your fans will receive a notification to come back.
- Data: See which stories are getting views and monetization. See where your readers are falling off and tighten up the story to increase your conversion rates.
- Iterate: Update your story at any time. Let the community provide you ideas on how to improve your stories instead of paying for an expensive editor.
- Images: Add images to visualize key story moments.
- Questions/Polls: Engage your fans by asking embedding choices in the story. You can find out what your readers are thinking at any point in your stories.
- Interactivity: This is where our platform truly shines. Add choices, track decisions, and branch the storyline.
Basics of Creating Prose
Creating Prose stories on our platform is easy! In the next section you'll learn how to create or migrate your existing prose stories onto our platform and add: